Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Monsoon season

Don't know quite why we've had so much rain lately. It's unusual in the mountains in August to have several days of solid rain in a row. Thundershowers, yes. But not what we've had lately.

It's gotten pretty soggy, and of course the grass loves it. I'm going to have a big job cutting the yards, the orchard, and the lower field when it dries out again.

In the meantime, I've been putting up some things...applesauce and apple butter, mostly, but I also put up some grape jelly from the grapevines we planted this past spring. It's really unusual to get a harvest the first year after transplant, but we'll take them.

I'm usually the one who does the freezing and canning. Guess it's my 'cosmic possum' mountaineer background.

One thing the rain has kept me from doing is working on my storage building/workshop. The rain always floods the basement to a degree, so things down there are getting way too damp. I think some books, etc. are probably ruined. Hope I can get the rest of the building completed before cold weather comes. It'll be great to have stuff stored nearby instead of at a commercial storage building (at least some of our stuff) and also to have a real workshop.

Over the last few days I've cleaned up my office, so it's less of a dump. Maybe I'll also get things cleaned under our carport, too. Right now there's a big stack of building materials waiting on me to finish the shed. But, it's monsoon season...when it's usually dry!

No comments: