Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hobbies

Most everyone has some kind of hobby. I have several, from reading to playing online word games to woodworking to gardening. Some 'hobbies' are more like second jobs--especially this time of year when I'm putting things up in jars. Today I processed 6 qts and 1 pt of applesauce and apple-pear sauce. I've got a crockpot full of apple butter simmering. And yesterday I froze about 6 or 7 pints of blueberries!
One hobby I used to have that's almost completely gone now is swimming. Don't really remember the last time I went swimming. I really should start back on that one, for the exercise's sake.
Today I did a little work on a hobby of mine that comes just once a year--TubaChristmas. I played tuba in high school, and later acquired a nice euphonium so I could quit borrowing one to accompany my kids when we went to the Atlanta location of TubaChristmas. Also we have gone to Chattanooga when they used to have an event, and to Harriman, TN, where we met Sande MacMorran of the University of Tennessee music department. We went several years in a row to Atlanta when they were inside the CNN building, but now that they have moved outside, it's just too cold and windy.
So last year I took the plunge and became a local coordinator for TubaChristmas. Our event is TubaChristmas Blue Ridge, our 2nd annual, and it will be Saturday, November 29th right in downtown Blue Ridge. (Yes, I know its the UGA/Tech game, but we'll be finished before the game really gets going!)
If you're interested in coming to this TubaChristmas, check out their website in the next few days...details of our event are supposed to be posted soon.

No comments: