Sunday, August 31, 2008

Labor Day weekend

The weekend's been full already. Friday we picked up Debbie ('Gabby') and took her Mom Jeanette home to Alabama. I'd enjoyed as much of her visit as I could stand. We ate dinner there at probably the worst Chinese buffet I ever ate at...but my in-laws thought it was a great place!

Drove home that same evening, so that was about 450+ miles between 2:30 PM and midnight. Got up early Saturday to go to the men's 'rally' at Morganton Baptist (where I'm pastor)--but only a very few guys showed up, except for the A-OK motorcycle club, who were coming in off their 10-day mission trip. It was good to hear what happened on the trip. I was scheduled to go with them, but didn't get to go after all, so I was a little jealous.

Matt/Tasha came up with their neighbor and her fiance, and Debbie decided it would be great fun to go with them tubing down the Toccoa. That was fine, but I'm pretty sore today. I'd rather canoe than tube...at least you can steer a canoe, and you're not sitting with your butt in cold water the whole way!

Church this morning, with a few more people than usual. The youth did a drama skit, which was pretty good. Hope we can keep up some good stuff out of this youth group. Then lunch at Mercier's apple house, which is always good...except for the shopping that takes place afterwards! It always costs me as much as a really good dinner, when you count in the other shopping for apples, candles, chocolate, fried pies, etc.

Just 'vegged out' this afternoon, without having to worry about going back to church tonight. It came a very unexpected heavy downpour during the afternoon, so it prevented us from mowing grass as we'd sort of half-heartedly planned to do. One more thing to get done tomorrow.

Deb plans for us to go down to Matt/Tasha's tomorrow, and go on to Sam's club in the afternoon, but I'd really rather just stay home, go by the Labor Day BBQ, and do some stuff around the house. Like my Dad used to say when we'd ask what we were going to do on Labor Day..."Labor," he'd always answer.

No comments: