Tuesday, April 14, 2009

More Old Family Information

Wow, when you finally get a breakthrough on your family ancestry search, you can jump to a lot of new information quickly...
Just found out today that William Jones, my distant ancestor who emigrated from Shropshire, England to Virginia before eventually moving to South Carolina, also served in the Patriot forces during the Revolution.
I suspected that a Thomas Jones who fought in the Revolution was a son of William's, and that Thomas was an older brother of Solomon Jones, my ancestor born in 1774. Another ancestor, Nimrod Cross, gave a deposition about Thomas Jones' Revolutionary service so Thomas' ancient widow could get a congressional pension in the 1830s.
Anyway, I'm now eagerly trying to get in touch with a distant, distant cousin who's written a book about our Jones family. Of course I doubt that she has many of the Georgia Joneses in the book, but what I want is information about the ones 'way back there.'
And it looks as if we'll have a Jones family reunion this September or October in Forsyth County at Harmony Grove Baptist.
More when I learn more...

No comments: