Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Things you call your Dad for...

Strange, isn't it, that adult kids still need their folks?

Today I got a call at the office from Nathan, who'd arrived home in HOT Texas last night...this morning when they let Annie the Jack Russell terrier out into the back yard, she promptly went under the house. They heard her barking for awhile, then...silence.

This is the kind of thing that gets folks who love their pets in a panic, so Kayla naturally wants Nathan to check on her (Political Correctness and Feminism aside, crawling under an old house with the spiders and potential rattlesnakes is definitely a 'husband' thing to have to do.) Nathan called me for advice...

The first thing I learned was that Nathan's flashlight batteries were dead, so I suggested checking around the house skirting to make sure there were no other places Annie could have escaped, then taking more of the house skirting loose in the area enclosed by the fence, and finally putting out some tempting food while he left to get batteries.

I got a call a little later...while Nathan was gone to the store, having followed all my suggestions, Kayla was surprised to see a 'strange' cat streaking across the backyard, with Annie in hot pursuit! Nathan remembered having seen a cat of the same description (I'm sure smaller--without its fur fluffed out!) that morning, near their front porch--with kittens in tow. So I'm hoping they don't have a new family living in the 8" high 'basement.'

Still, it's good to be needed, if only for advice on dealing with errant pets!

2 comments:

keyofdjonz said...

you are a wonderful dad! i knew you would be when i married you : )

Nathan said...

It's also comforting to know that I was thinking of the same things as you were confirming them for me. It's great to have such a good example of a Dad that knows how to fix problems as they arise in order to assist me to become that same type of father! Love you!