Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Building together

This summer, I've been building a combination storage building/shop down in the woods behind the house. Unfortunately, I have only completed the foundation and floor of it. So Debbie got impatient, and insisted that we get a much smaller metal storage building for her to put 'her' outdoor stuff in.

We managed to find a good kit for an 8x10 metal building at Lowe's, and they had a floor system thrown in for free. However, after looking at the floor system, I decided that we needed to build the building raised off the ground, which entailed cutting up some 6x6 treated posts that I had left from my own building, setting them up, and installing some 2x6 treated lumber under the floor system. Then I had to put some chipboard on top of the flooring...so with all that, it took up most of the day yesterday.

When Debbie got home, we started working together on the building. I have an occupational disease of do-it-yourselfers: I assume that my helper can read my mind. Since Debbie's not too experienced with outdoor work, running electric screw guns/drills, etc, it was interesting. I managed to cause her to get a really bad blood blister on her finger, but she was indispensable in getting up the siding on the building. Some of the kit just could not have been done by one person.

We finished all the framing and side parts, but before I could get the roof on, I had to go to a church meeting last night. Today it's raining, and it's forecast to continue through tomorrow, so I don't know when I will be able to finish this thing up.

Debbie's remark was, "It only took us 35 years to get to the place we could work together!"

No comments: